Saturday, February 19, 2011

Mommy Moments

There are moments within each day, amongst the pouting and the Kindle being tosses across the room like a Frisbee, that I am SO proud that I am a parent.  More specifically, I am proud of the child that my daughter is becoming. I would like to think that I have a part in her strong character.  Today's moment came at 7 am, when she crawled into bed with me.  "Mommy, I slept good last night!" as she gave me a kiss on the cheek.  "I am happy that you slept well, honey." was my semi-grumpy reply (it was too early for my taste!) "I slept good because I do not like sleeping with diapers."  This was her 3 year old way of reporting to me that she had, had a her fourth diaper-less night in a row.  It was not the fact that I no longer had to deal with and purchase diapers for her, that made me so proud at that moment, but it was how this moment came to be.

As I alluded to a few sentences prior, I DEEPLY value my sleep.  Sleep deprivation, has been, in fact, the HARDEST part of being a parent, frankly.  The last step in her potty training that I was avoiding WAS bed time.   Earlier this week, as we were preparing for bed, she declared, "I am NOT going to wear diapers to bed, anymore!  I am a BIG girl!"   This was NOT a concept that I had planted into her brain, nor had her father.  I was actually surprised. I even tried a little of the "are you sure? do you want to wake up with wet pants?" dialogue too. She had made up her mind. "I am done," was the last thing she said before she went to sleep.   This is just one of many moments of her independent character that I attempt to take credit for.

No comments:

Post a Comment